Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Amrum

I would say that any place that you need to take a ferry to get to is probably a nice place, but having to be on the ferry for 2 hours is a certain guarantee for being wonderful, if you like islands that is.

When I was 13 I spent a few weeks on the north frisian island Sylt with my mother and a friend of mine. One of the weeks my friend - actually best friend ever - went to a different island to a horse camp and I took the ferry to visit her one day. This is how I got introduced to Amrum and since then I have wanted to come back for a vacation here. I have been to Sylt many, many time, because it is easier to reach, since there is a train damn connecting the island with the mainland and it is possible to go for just a day. But I never made it to Amrum until now. I think there is hardly any place I like this much in the world. There is something very special about the light, the dunes, the sand, the waves, the people - I think it is total bliss!


We took a train for about 3 hours, a ferry for 2 and then a bus for a few stops to almost in front of the house. The house is wonderful, I love it here. It is an old brick house that belonged to a captain. Across are fields and a meadow with horses, we can see the light house and the old windmill. To the other side we can even see the water (sound side). There is a backyard with a lot of nice places to sit and hang out and downstairs is a wine & tapas bar, with a perfect yard to sit in and taste all sorts of wines. The people running this place are awesome and make their guests feel very welcome. It is going to be hard to ever leave again, that is for sure.


This island has three main villages and we are in the middle one called Nebel, which still maintains its quaint village charm, yet has everything one could need. We rented bikes and bike everywhere, like everybody else. Very few people use their cars on this island and it is not really that necessary, after all, it is a small island.


Amrum is famous for its very wide beach with the finest and softest sand one can imagine. With all that space and the steady winds, it is a paradise for kites and Johanna already learned to fly our stunt kite rather well. We are planning to get a second one today that does not need a person to bring it back up when it is down.





My favorite time of day is the blue hour, the time between day and night, dusk. It is especially nice at the sea side given that there is a huge sky above reaching from one end of the horizon to the other. This is probably one of the main reasons why I am a sea person and not really a mountain person, I love the space and freedom, the wide sky. I love sunsets - there it is, I said it, think of me what you want, I do love sunsets. When I was a teenager I collected postcards of sunsets over the North Sea, I must have had hundreds. I admit though that the photo of a postcard cannot compete at all with the real thing. Still, it is a kind of magic. Sundays sunset was beautiful, the difficult things was, that it was so late and Sophie was getting very tired. We got home at 11pm. It was worth it though, because while the sun was setting on one side, the full moon was rising on the other. Unfortunately I only had my little Canon with me, oh well, in our minds we remember it perfectly - or maybe even better.

2 comments:

  1. ... and what's wrong with liking sunsets?! it just means you're human!!!!! I love them too.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really think there is anything wrong with liking sunsets, but it does have some kitschy connotations, at least on postcards.

    ReplyDelete