Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Thursday in Hamburg

If you read my last posts, you can probably feel the exhaustion we felt at the end of our Denmark trip. Our Thursday was already booked already though and so there was no stopping. We started with a breakfast at my friend Consti’s house. She had so many different things to eat, we could have had breakfast for the rest of the day, Most exciting for Sophie though was the train ride going there, she loves the subway and if you are in the front car, you can be just behind the driver and look out.


My friend is a teacher and it was her first day if vacation and so we had planned a little stroll & shop trip. Since that is very counter productive with children of any age in tow, be met my mom and off loaded the off spring. Shopping was fun, though with the dollar being so weak, I kept it to a pencil, 3 postcards and some fantastic chocolates for my mom and some friends. The chocolate store Chocovida is wonderful, they make their own chocolate (I recommend the one with sea salt) and they sell the worlds most exquisite (and expensive) chocolate. They know a lot about chocolates and cocoa, they make it and they even do wine and chocolate tastings paired together. I could so go for that.


We also went to look at our old high school, which is right at that corner and checked it out a bit to see how much it has changed. It feels strange to look up at some windows that were once my class room. It feels surreal, really!


We met the girls my mom and some friends of hers for a wonderful picnic at the park with all the delicious things one could want and some prosecco. It was so nice hanging out in the park while munching all these great things and feeling the bubbles rushing to my head. At the same time I had to think about so many moments I had spent in that park, all at different stages in my life; sledding in the early darkness of winter days, being allowed to play soccer with the boys, because I looked like one table tennis Easter Sunday, simultaneous sunbathing and studying for film class, swinging while the trees were ablaze in fall colors, running around and around the park while desperately trying to memorize linguistics, passionate kisses in the moonlight after a night out...


Consti had gotten tickets for the new Harry Potter movie in original version (no hideous dubbing) and we met her partner Peter and his son Joern at the theater. We have known Joern since he was three, he is as tall as me now. I still think that he is cute, but nobody should tell him I wrote that, because he probably would be so embarrassed.


Johanna and I spent the whole way home lamenting the important parts left out of the movie and the excessive snogging related hormone craziness being included. There are little moments, when your eye rolling daughter can be like a friend. Right now she is reading HP in German and is almost as quick as in English, let's hope she is not just skimming through the pages.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joern, where'd you get that haircut! Woah, you've grown, man! -john

    ReplyDelete